Re: New (?) Mammalian Mitochondrial Tree

While I am at answering, it's common that unpublished information is shown
on TV. I
have seen HP Oliver Rauhut presenting *Asfaltomylos* on TV (without a name),
I have
seen "*Zupaysaurus*" (also without a name; still undescribed), I have seen
Norell and
others presenting heaps of nesting oviraptorids that were called *Ingenia*
and
probably include some *Khaan*... Filming the digs is faster than writing a
paper
about them, let alone getting it printed.

> Abstract: "[...] mitogenomic study (i.e., analysis based on the
> set of protein-coding genes from complete mt genomes) of 60 mammalian
> species. This number includes 11 new mt genomes. The sampling comprises
> all but one of the traditional eutherian orders.["]

Wow.

> ["]The previously
> unrepresented order Dermoptera (flying lemurs) fell within Primates as the
> sister group of Anthropoidea, making Primates[,"]

_as traditionally conceived_,

> ["]paraphyletic. [...]"

That's a rather extreme case of a content-based name.

>   Here, colugos (Dermoptera) are found inside Primates, and as the
> sistergroup of Simia.

That's strange. Long-branch attraction of lemurs? Short-branch attraction of
colugos?
Something else? ~:-)

> Cetfereungulata [...] Cetferungulata,

Arrgh. Fine, it's logical, whales have never been and therefore can never be

ungulates (because where would we end up if... <gasp>!!!), so they can never
ever be
fereuungulates and the clade must be called Cet-fer-eu-ungulata. Grr. I
thought I
liked logic. ~B-(

> Afrotheria, which includes the Tenrecomorpha

Why aren't they called Afrosoricida?

> Rodentia is paraphyletic in regards to other eutherians, with rats
> and mice, and voles, outside a clade formed by Afrotheria, Laurasiatheria,
> and other rodents (some muroids, hystricognaths, and sciuromorphs).
> Erinaceomorphs are considered the outgroup to all other eutherians.
> Wierd tree.

Not weird, just usual rampant long-branch attraction. There were worse cases
in and
before 1998, though. :-)
        What was the outgroup?

>   The use of "paraphyletic" in the paper is erroneous, since it refers to
> the monophyletic Primates which includes Dermoptera as "paraphyletic"

No, no. Primates has never included Dermoptera and therefore can never
possibly do
so, so it is paraphyletic, unless of course we want to bring about the end
of the
world. Logical, isn't it.

PhyloCode now.

*    This Mail List at USC.EDU only accepts PLAIN TEXT    *