Re: Jeholornis skull

From: "Nick Gardner" <ratites637@hotmail.com>
To: dinosaur@usc.edu, AltperDino@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Jeholornis skull
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 21:52:17 -0500

I am preparing a life reconstruction of Jeholornis prima and I have completed most of the body, but have not filled in the details on the skull. Would it have had a keratinous covering over its snout or not? And were the second pedal claws hyperextensible?

Nick Gardner

Jeholornis prima had teeth that have gone through a great deal of degeneration, its upper and lower jaws are robust and well developed, this gives to why it ate seeds. I'm not sure it had a beak, I seen a lot of ilustrations with a grey part at the end of the snout, but I believe it didn't, but I could be wrong. As for the second pedal claws I have no idea all I do know that its similar to that of dromaeosaurs and troodontids, I could only assume it did, and as for that I could be wrong aswell!

Steven Coombs *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* Steven's Dinosaurs: http://stevensdinosaurs1.tripod.com