A Field Guide to Dinosaurs

I just recieved my copy of _A Field Guide to Dinosaurs_ by Henry Gee and Luis
Rey.  As a long time fan of Luis' art, I had to look through the book
imediately upon reception.  Here are my totally unbiased thoughts ;)
     First off, A Field Guide to Dinosaurs is a really handsome book.  I'm  not
sure who at Quarto Publishing was in charge of layout, but they should be
commended.  WHile trying not to join the cacophonous barage of attacks on
Walking with Dinosaurs, I have to say this book is really what WWD should have
been.  The book begins with a disclaimer that it is a ork of fiction, then goes
on to explain the scientific basis of their speculations.  The attention to
detail pays off, as the descriptions feel, IMHO, much more plausible than WWDs
work.  Obviously many of the speculations they made on color and behavior are
not likely to be literally true, but that is why they emphasize that
speculative nature of the book.  One advantage over WWD is particularly
noticable, namely general anatomy.  Although some of the more accurate
dinosaurs made for TV, WWDs dinosaurs are no where near as accurate as those in
A Field Guide to Dinosaurs.  The credit for this, of course, goes to the tire!
less efforts of Luis Rey.  For thse of you who are fans of Luis' artwork, this
book is a must buy.  I had not seen over 80% of the color images, and almost
all of the pencil drawings were new to me.  And it is filled with some of Luis'
finest work yet.
    The book is well written (as are all the Henry Gee books I've read).
Though not a technical volume, it is a lot of fun.  I know that Luis is a
little disapointed at some of the things which were not included.  Artists are
usually their own worst critics, and I think that both Luis and Henry Gee
should be proud of what will undoubtably entertain dinosaur lovers of all ages
(well... 8 and up).  Also, the attention to the latest finds will help to bring
the public up to speed on the modern consensus of what dinosaurs were like.

Now go get.

Scott Hartman
University of Wyoming
(307) 265-1045