re: Half-a-dactylus

> Imagine finding a sauropod skull all by itself. Then imagine finding a
> sauropod sans skull all by itself. From what we know about sauropods,
> often we can decide from cladistical analysis whether or not that skull
> belongs with that body.

Only if there is a bug in the program. You will probably have read of
*Nemegtosaurus*
(an isolated skull) and/or *Quaesitosaurus* (another) being synonymous with
*Opisthocoelicaudia* (skeleton without head & neck), which is simply not
testable
even if both should turn out to be as closely related as some assume.

> [...] The same is happening here. With or without a
> body, Cearadactylus belongs in the Ornithocheiridae. With our without a
> head Arthurdactylus belongs in the same family. How close they are to
> each other is the only sticking point.

And, because a head and a postcranium cannot have synapomorphies, they
cannot clade
together in an analysis. Except if there really is a bug in the program.

> Other taxa with heads resembling
> Cearadactylus and bodies resembling Arthurdactylus provide the clues as
> to how close or how far  apart the two are, IMHO.

Can go far enough to put the two in an unresolved trichotomy (rather than
polytomy)
with something else. But if it resolves it and there is no typo, there ought
to be a
bug. I prefer to imagine the former (especially because my computer
knowledge is
thoroughly ridiculous).

*    This Mail List at USC.EDU only accepts PLAIN TEXT    *