Re: other questions

At 11:03 AM 2/16/2003, Nick Pharris wrote:
Quoting Chris Collinson <chris_collinson@hotmail.com>:

> Is it likely that Avaceratops represents a possible ancestor to Triceratops,
> being the only other ceratopsian without parietal fenestrae? And is it
> lammersi or lammersorum, I've seen both.

I'd say it's unlikely, as _Avaceratops_ retains a number of primitive
characters lost in _Triceratops_ and the other chasmosaurines.

If I have the story right, Dodson originally coined the name as _Avaceratops
lammersi_.  But he actually intended to name the animal for the Lammers
*family*, and not just one (male) Lammers, so it really should be
_lammersorum_.  Dodson didn't like having his name screwed with and so
continues to use _lammersi_.

Nope. That is not actually what appears to have happened, although it is close. According to Peter himself (this conversation was a while ago, however), he was thinking of the Lammers family as an entity (what is that, a collective singular?) rather than as a plural group. I am, I am sure, killing this in a linguistic sense with respect to terminology, but hopefully the gist is clear. Peter is pretty well schooled in Latin, and from what he has told me regarding this issue, I think I recall him saying he consciously choose _lammersi_ because of the way he was viewing the name Lammers.

-Josh

------
Josh Smith
Assistant Professor of Geology
Department of Earth & Planetary Sciences
Washington University
1 Brookings Drive
Campus Box 1169
108 Wilson Hall