Re: other questions

In a message dated 2/16/03 9:03:59 AM Pacific Standard Time,
npharris@umich.edu writes:

<< If I have the story right, Dodson originally coined the name as
_Avaceratops
 lammersi_.  But he actually intended to name the animal for the Lammers
 *family*, and not just one (male) Lammers, so it really should be
 _lammersorum_.  Dodson didn't like having his name screwed with and so
 continues to use _lammersi_. >>

I emended the species name to lammersorum shortly after Peter published his
paper. I think he was miffed at having missed this, and now is trying to
temporize (see his comments on this situation in his great book on horned
dinosaurs) by maintaining that "Lammers family" is a singular noun requiring
a singular genitive inflection. The ICZN, however, considers only the number
of people being honored, and if it's more than one, the ending -orum or -arum
is mandated (-orum in this instance).