Re: other questions

At 12:45 PM 2/16/2003, Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:
In a message dated 2/16/03 9:12:55 AM Pacific Standard Time,
smithjb@levee.wustl.edu writes:

<< According to Peter himself (this conversation was a while ago,
 however), he was thinking of the Lammers family as an entity (what is that,
 a collective singular?) rather than as a plural group.  I am, I am sure,
 killing this in a linguistic sense with respect to terminology, but
 hopefully the gist is clear.  Peter is pretty well schooled in Latin, and
 from what he has told me regarding this issue, I think I recall him saying
 he consciously choose _lammersi_ because of the way he was viewing the
 name Lammers. >>

I would deny this, because in the very first conversation I had with Peter
about this, he made no such assertion. He simply said some thing like, "Oh
oh." Only later did he think up the singular noun business. As I noted
elsewhere, had he used "lammersorum" to begin with, nobody would have tried to emend it to "lammersi" on the basis that "Lammers family" is a singulat entity!

Entirely possible. Your conversation took place before the talks I had with Peter about it took place. As I said above, I was relaying what I recall hearing from him...it is a bit difficult to extrapolate from that what he was ACTUALLY thinking.

------ Josh Smith Assistant Professor of Geology Department of Earth & Planetary Sciences Washington University 1 Brookings Drive Campus Box 1169 108 Wilson Hall St. Louis, MO 63130-4899 Office: 314.935.7033 FAX: 314.935.7361 smithjb@levee.wustl.edu http://epsc.wustl.edu

Director, Bahariya Dinosaur Project
http://egyptdinos.org