Re: Latest Nat. Geo.

Dan Varner (Danvarner@aol.com) wrote:

<Also, be sure to go here to see two of Mark Hallett's drawings of the
heads of Corythosaurus and Oviraptor that should have been in the article
instead of most of the !@#%@#! photographic fluff that was there.

  http://magma.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0303/feature1/index.html>

  "Oviraptor has a reputation it doesn't deserve. Discovered in 1923 in
the Gobi in Mongolia, its first known fossil lay on a nest of fossil eggs
thought to belong to Protoceratops. Scientists called the toothless,
beaked theropod "egg thief," assuming it had been stealing from
Protoceratops nests. What's wrong with this picture? Everything, says
evidence from the past decade. "Now we know Oviraptor was brooding its own
eggs," says Catherine Forster, a paleontologist at the State University of
New York at Stony Brook. "Paleontologists have found several more
Oviraptors squatting over similar nests, with their forearms spread
protectively around the nest just like birds." The clincher? Eggs from
some nests in the group held 80-million-year-old Oviraptor embryos."

  Unfortunately, I hope this material was not included, because this is
almost rubbish. The whole picture is not wrong, only the identification of
who nested what. Does not mean *Oviraptor* did not eat eggs ... This _was_
to be my 2001 SVP poster topic.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden