Re: Siberian Traps

On Tue, 31 Dec 2002, James R. Cunningham wrote:

> I admit to hoping that all the postulated asteroid
> extinctions are real for one very simple reason.  We have the technology
> in hand now to prevent asteroid impacts in the future...
> ...Insofar as I
> know, we do not have the present capability to prevent other sources of
> mass extinction.

On the contrary, we seem to hell-bent on _creating_ the current mass
extinction.  And while we search the skies, killer species interactions
and wholesale habitat destruction are doing the job, albeit unglamorously,
beneath our feet.  I realize it's futile to hope for evidence that
supports a particular poicy, but wouldn't it be better if it were
discovered that meteor-caused mass extinctions were bunk: we need to tcb
right here, right now.