re: Cearadacs and ptero wings

Last year there was a bit of chatter regarding the number of
premaxillary teeth in Cearadactylus -- four, or more than four. The
argument was based on ctenochasmatids having more than four premaxillary
teeth and Cearadactylus's putative assignment to that clade.

Well, it appears that some ctenochasmatids do have more than four pmx
teeth and some don't.

Pterodaustro has only four short premax teeth per side. Both specimens
of Ctenochasma in Wellnhofer's 1991 Encyclopedia (p. 97) also show this
primitive trait.

There was also some talk about a number of pterosaur specimens
displaying deep chord wing membranes. I covered Eosipterus and other
such examples at:

http://www.tailwindfairings.com/ptero.html

I hope everyone who is interested in the subject had the chance to see
these images. It would be nice if the BBC and Stan Winston Studios got
the word, too.

Finally, I kept hearing rumors of an extraordinary Rhamphorhynchus
specimen in which the excellent wing membrane preservation proved that
pterosaurs had wings that attached to the ankles. I ran across this
specimen of a new Rhamphorhynchus with an extraordinary wing at:

http://www.uni-mainz.de/~harfj000/rhamphorhynchus_muensteri_01_o_thumb.jpg

_If_ it is the same one previously referred to, then I would have to
comment that this specimen displays the same short chord wing membrane
that all the other pterosaur specimens do. Note that the elbow extends
_beyond_ the wing proper, but this is probably just a taphonomic
artifact. I do see the tissue around the legs. And if I were looking for
an argument to support the broad wing hypothesis, I would use that stain
for evidence. But you should remember, that pterosaurs had meat on their
drumsticks and this is probably just ptero-goo resulting from the decay
of that muscle. It happens all the time (Sordes, Jeholopterus, etc.)

All for now,

David Peters
St. Louis