Re: pterosaurs myology

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jaime A. Headden" <qilongia@yahoo.com>
To: <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Cc: <stefanpickering2002@yahoo.com>
Sent: Monday, December 30, 2002 12:43 PM
Subject: Re: pterosaurs, pre-K/T theropods, and Certhiidae

> Stephan Pickering (stefanpickering2002@yahoo.com) wrote:
>
> <Has anyone yet done an osteological comparison (with myological
> extrapolations) between pterosaurs and pre-K/T feathered, flying and
> secondarily flightless, theropods, and the extant species within Certhia,
> the "treecreepers"? These interesting dinosaurs are adapted to "walking"
> up the sides of trees, feeding on insects.>
>
>   There aren´t that many myological studies on pterosaurs out there,
> considering there are very few rather complete 3-D skeletons available.
> Otherwise, work is cobbled together from a variety mis-sized specimens
> that must be assembled allometrically. S. Christopher Bennett has done
> several papers on the osteology and inferred musculature in *Pteranodon*,
> but this was general. Bird skeletal anatomy is inherently different, and
> there are bones and bone associations that make the two fairly different,
> but the mechanichs are essentially the same except that pterosaurs lack an
> equivalent m. supracoracoideus elevator as distinct as in enantiornithines
> or ornithurines. Pterosaurs make do with a huge m. deltoideus, and this is
> the reason why the deltopectoral crest in pterosaurs is so much larger
> than in birds.

Two points:

1.  I submitted a paper on the evolution of the pterosaur pectoral girdle
and its musculature to the Pterosaur 2001 Symposium volume being editted by
Eric Buffetaut.  In the paper I reconstruct the pectoral musculature of
Campylognathoides and Anhanguera using Witmer's EPB method as applied by
Dilkes to Maiasaura, and then discuss the implications of the differences.
Note that I make no comparisons with birds, etc.  The paper seems to have
passed review with the only major complaint being that it is too long and ha
s too many figures (the ms. had 49 pp. + 14 figs.), and I presume that it
now can be considered to be "in press."

2.  Since there are no other Chris Bennetts mentioned on the Listservice,
even in passing, it is quite sufficient to call me Chris, rather than S.
Christopher.

Chris

S. Christopher Bennett, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Basic Sciences