Re: sauropod behaviour speculations

Stephan Pickering (stefanpickering2002@yahoo.com) wrote:

<The taxon is Hippopotamus amphibius. (The "pygmy" taxon, Choeropsis
liberiensis, should be synonymized into Hippopotamus.)>

  Hmm... *Choeropsis* is a junior synonym of *Hexaprotodon* (Coryndon,
1977; *Hexaprotodon* was named almost ten years earlier than *Choeropsis*)
despite continued use of the former designation [both in fact are used by
scientists and laypersons, its not funny], the later having a distinct
fossil history that shows *Hexaprotodon* is separate from *Hippopotamus*
as well as far back as the Miocene, which is more than can be said for
many extant bird genera. They are also quite distinctly reproductively
isolated.

  Coryndon, S.C. 1977. The taxonomy and nomenclature of the Hippopotamidae
  (Mammalia, Artiodactyla) and a description of two new fossil species.
  _Proceedings of the Koninklijke Nederlandese Akademie van Wetenschappen,
  Series B_ 80: 61-88.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden