Re: the future is wild, review

Jeff Hecht (jeff@jeffhecht.com) wrote:

<There's nothing wrong with speculation that's identified as such. From
the recent round of complaints, it sounds like the latest documentaries
(which I haven't seen) don't do a good job of identifying what's
speculative.>

  Not only did I see the program, I recorded it, and will probably watch
it again in a day or two. I had fun laughing at the idea of terrestrial
squid being able to support their lack fo structural integrity without a
bouyant environment, but that was the biggest gripe.

  Also note that the entire WWD franchise (as it seems to be turning into)
are billed as "being" there and should be taken as speculative on the part
of the production team, rather than as cold, ahrd fact. We all know Dan
Bensen's site is based on speculation, but we don't criticize his matter
of factness in the presentation of these animals _being_ this way, in that
frame. For the paleo-documentaries of WWD, the story is set in three
frames of the future, 5mya, 100mya, and 200mya from now, and this should
be taken into account. In WWD, WWB, WDRA, and the *Allosaurus* special
that have aired in America, the idea was having a camera _there_; it
cannot be billed as speculation when you want something realistic as
"there"-ish :). Though the *Allosaurus* and *Tyrannosaurus* head models
leave a lot to be desired, and I would add some stuff to the facial
anatomy of sauropods, the effects were such that these looked very
pseudorealistic, and their great popularity has done the trick.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden