Re: the future is wild, review

----- Original Message -----
From: "His Dark Lordship" <darklord@compusmart.ab.ca>
To: "Rita D Miller" <blackholesnbones@sbcglobal.net>
Sent: Friday, January 03, 2003 3:56 PM
Subject: Re: the future is wild, review

> Twas 03-Jan-03, whence Rita D Miller didst dost proclaimeth to me...
>
> > So, evolution far in the future can't be predicted. Those things we have
> > selected for meat or milk or as companion animals probably couldn't
> > survive in the wild, and wild animals, also selected for in other ways,
> > might not be able to evolve fast enough to keep up with returning or
> > changing habitats. This might be a very empty world 200 million years
from
> > now.
>
> While I'd have to agree with you about dairy cows, I think that the
majority
> of species that take advantage of us probably would do fine without us.
> Ranch Cattle, for example, would probably do quite well in north america
> without the ranchers.

Ranch cattle starve to death when they are not fed fodder. Mostly ranch
cattle are raised in arid places and there simply is nothing to eat except
what is given to them. Ask any rancher what his fodder bill is every month
and he'll complain that it is breaking his back. Ranch cattle are also so
inbred and stupid, thanks to us and our need to control the species easily,
that they often get hung up in fences and die. Lastly, they are raised for
their meat and are given massive doses of antibiotics to protect them and us
from their many diseases. Without those antibiotics they would be naive to
every disease that came down the track. They would simply die without the
ranchers.

> Sheep would have a problem, though. Outdoor cats and dogs (or at least
> outdoor cats) engage in hunting behavior all the time and as a now dearly
> departed siamese feline named Morrigan proved to me, cats can figure out
> how to kill things pretty easily (seeing that she was about eight pounds
> and after about a month of living in the wild she was bringing home
> jackrabbits about three times her size by the barrelloads.)

You had a cat that still had some instincts, perhaps. Most domesticated
cats, and dogs, can't survive without the intervention of people -- whether
that is their owner or some kind people who feed the feral population. Feral
cat populations regularly starve to death, die of disease, get hit by cars
and fall prey to dogs who predate upon them. Feral dogs seem to go insane
without their humans. There are many cases where feral dog packs descend
upon an area and kill everything they can -- but without eating their prey.
We have created insanity in a species that is supposed to be our "best
friend."

> Either way, it's an interesting concept to think of what would and/or
could
> survive in the various habitats we have created in our little fantasy
> called "civilization." Of course, you could change the next 500 million
> years of developement just by leaving the power on or not.

Just look at what happens to supposedly intelligent humans when their
electricity goes off for a few days! The crime rate goes up due to looting
and violent behavior, and the population rises nine months after the
blackout. Brilliant!

Rita