Re: the future is wild, review

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Brusatte" <dinoland@lycos.com>
To: <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Friday, January 03, 2003 5:11 PM
Subject: Re: the future is wild, review

> On Fri, 3 Jan 2003 16:42:57
>
> >Up until about 10,000 years ago, we H. Sapiens Sapiens fit into the
ecology
> >very nicely. We hunted and gathered and our populations were kept down by
> >disease and injury. There is some indication that Pleistocene animals
like
> >cave lions, cave bears, giant sloths, etc. were made extinct by our
species,
> >but the liklihood is that these giants were already tending toward
> >extinction before mankind appeared on the scene. Large preditors require
> >large prey and the large prey were passing into history while we were
still
> >trying to figure out how to walk upright on the African velt (according
> >the fossil record.)
>
> I respectfully disagree.  Pete Ward has gathered some of the most
persuasive arguments for human-induced large mammal extinctions in his books
_The Call of Distant Mammoths_ and _Rivers Through Time_.  They are both
excellent reads.  Of course, there is also a variety of papers by Paul
Martin and his colleagues, but I haven't examined any of them.

> Very little, save for large bolides, has wreaked as much environmental
havoc as humans.  But, I think that any intelligent species is bound to
change nature.  It comes with intelligence, and the problem is that there is
no real way to remedy it.  Creating nature preserves and setting aside land
are necessities, but we can never save _everything_.  That was made
inevitable by our evolution.

> Steve

That's rather what I said, isn't it? Anyway, if we can change it for the
bad, perhaps we will learn how to change it for the good.

Rita