Re: the future is wild, review

blackholesnbones@sbcglobal.net writes:

<< Now you are in the rhelm of speculation. The truth is, no such "safe" means
 of mosquito eradication has ever been used. What is not speculation,
 however, is that spreading oil on the water or spraying insecticides hither,
 thither and yon is NOT the answer. I suspect that if we ever find the
 answer, it will be one of those mosquito-eating species we have made extinct
 via use of our poisons -- and then it will be too late. >>

Nowhere do I advocate using poisons and other environmentally unfriendly
means of eradication. As an environmentally friendly means I suggest a
hypothetical genie who grants my fervent wish to make all the earth's
mosquitos vanish. So, suppose all the earth's irritating mosquitos vanished
(we can leave the ones that don't feed on humans, if there are any). I
contend that >no other species< would become extinct as a result, except
perhaps some protozoa that have evolved to depend exclusively on mosquitos in
their life cycles. The birds, frogs, fish and so forth that now eat mosquitos
(bless their little hearts) would certainly find other insects to eat in
place of them. In this respect, mosquitos epitomize truly useless life forms,
whose sole "raison d'etre" is to annoy and irritate people.