Mexican Pliosaur

I've gathering such data as I can on this recently reported specimen.

I presume that this is the specimen which was the subject of a poster by
Dino Frey, Marie-Celine Bushy and Steve Salisbury at the SVPCA in Cambridge
in September 2002, at which time only a protion of the rostrum had been
recovered. It is from the Kimmeridgian La Casita Formation in the Sierra El
Montelongo Pedregoso, Nueva León, Mexico. Based on the limited
material available at the time the specimen was identified as being from a
new taxon.

It is reported by the media as being *Liopleurodon ferox*. Although
*Liopleurodon* has been reported from the Kimmeridge Clay most of the
specimens are series of vertebrae which cannot be identified unambiguously
as *Liopleurodon* based on our current knowledge of its post-cranial anatomy
(which is close to non-existent  at the moment), or elements such as a lower
jaw which, according to Leslie Noè, are definitely not *Lipleurodon*.
Following WWD, it seems that *L.ferox* has taken  the crown as the biggest
and fiercest predator ever (move over *T.rex*) as as such has become in the
popular imagination the archetypical big pliosaur.

At the moment I don't have much more information on this specimen beyond
that in the news reports, which might make an interesting study of the
process of godzillaisation (a new word I have just coined (which Americans
may spell with a 'z' if they prefer)). I've put a number of links on my web
site (www.plesiosaur.com) for those who are interested.

Richard Forrest
richard@plesiosaur.com
www.plesiosaur.com