Paleo Portraits

Yesterday Jaime was asking about photos of Sternberg and Barnum Brown. There
is an extremely fun page of portaits at the American Museum's Department of
Paleontology website, full of mugshots of luminaries of paleo (Brown
inexplicably not among them). Among my favorites is the shot of William Elgin
Swinton, who occupied the same niche in Britain that Colbert did here in the
US. He was the author, I believe, of the first commercial dinosaur book and
furthered the careers of artists Maurice Wilson and Naeve Parker. Central
Casting could not have come up with a more perfect old-time paleontologist!
Those were the days before they dressed-up in little costumes. url below.DV
http://paleo.amnh.org/field/portrait.html