Re: Sauropods and Endothermy

REPLY: Thanks for the interesting note. "Willow", and
Dale Russell's justified excitement about this
fascinating specimen, fills a large file in my office.
However, I would like to point out that sauropods are
not ornithischians, the morphology of thescelosaurs
being significantly different from the multi-tonne
sauropods. Roger Seymour has done excellent work on
the cardiovascular systems likely possessed by
sauropods (his work over the past 20 years has not
been refuted), which I urge you to analyse. Also, it
should be noted, for historical accuracy, that L.S.
Russell in 1965 proposed endothermy (there were others
previously, but L.S.R. deserves much of the credit for
his formulations), a paper familiar to John Ostrom.
The other individual you mention, while being a fair
sketch artist, did not originate, nor add much to, the
variable meanings of endo- and ecto-thermy, although
barneyologists have embraced his hat (everytime I see
that hat, I want to stomp it with "Wipe Out" as
background elevator music!). Thermoregulation is far
more complex than some have thought: marine iguanas
are capable of foraging, e.g., in icy cold waters, yet
do not collapse dead. Sea turtles can migrate
thousands of miles, at a steady pace, yet do not die
on their way in similarly cold waters. What I am
saying, I guess, is that not all dinosaurs were
hot-blooded, but this does not mean, I hasten to add,
that they did not have high levels of activity.

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Galaxy/8152/dinoheart.html

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/dinosaurs/dinotemplates/Thescelosauru