Re: Sauropods and Endothermy

On Sat, 4 Jan 2003 11:11:49
 Jaime A. Headden wrote:

>  But they cannot get by the formation of the deposit around a rib. Their
>point about supposedly hollow structures (or very light material infilled
>into the ironstone) without any apparent plant material is telling in some
>manner, and Rowe et al. did not explain the process by which such a
>structure could have formed.

Right.  And this is probably the weakest aspect of their hypothesis, in my
opinion.  I recall Dr. Russell mentioning "chemical reactions with the iron in
the blood" as perhaps contributing to the formation, but I don't know how
probable this is.  And, we also must remember that no traces of the liver,
lungs, etc. were found.  This doesn't dismiss the heart interpretation per se,
as the liver and the lungs might have been more fragile or not had the correct
chemical composition to be preserved, but their absence does damage the
hypothesis.

Also, how similar is the supposed heart to other concretions found nearby??  A
comparative study, including CT scans of similar concretions, would be very
nice...

Steve

---
Stephen Brusatte