Re: Keratinous skulls

Of course, hair, feathers, scales, and skin are also composed of keratin, not
just claw sheaths, horn sheaths, and beaks.  Alligator skulls are heavily
textured dorsally, though perhaps not in the same manner as ceratopian skulls.

On a similar subject, did anyone see the SVP meeting talk on ornithomimids
having ridges in their beak anatomy not as external keratinous structures for
straining food but as internal osseous attachments for securing the beak (as
putatively seen in turtles).  I didn't attend, so I cannot comment.

------Ralph W. Miller III
         ralph.miller@alumni.usc.edu