Re: Nomina dubia

Stephan Pickering (stefanpickering2002@yahoo.com) wrote:

<Another, classic example are the numerous pterosaur fragments described
by Seeley (one of his daughters married A.S. Woodward, the model for Conan
Doyle's Professor Summerlee). I am still awaiting a thorough cataloguing
of all of the specimens (a jigsaw puzzle really), and to learn if any
effort has been made to determine if any of them are from individuals.>

  This would be the "ornithocheirid" assemblage, most of which ended up in
the bloody awful prolific aarray of species of *Ornithocheirus*; at least
several of these are ornithocheirid (incl. anhanguerids) and
dsungaripterid, but only recently has the *Ornithocheirus* problem been
worked on to some reasonable modern simile of systematics, Unwin (2001),
who also worked on the rest of the fossils with some attempt at sorting
through them. I have not read the paper, yet, however. This was cited on
the list some time ago, with some discussion of Unwin's taxonomic
interpretations.

  Unwin, D. M. 2001. An overview of the pterosaur assemblage from the
  Cambridge Greensand (Cretaceous) of Eastern England. _Mitteilungen
Museum
  für Naturkunde Berlin, Geowissenschaftlichen Reihe_ 4: 189-221.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden