Re: Archaeopteryx paper in Naturwissenschaften online

Chatterjee & Templin wrote
Despite broad acceptance of its arboreal life
style from anatomical, phylogenetic, and ecological
evidence, a new version of the cursorial model was
proposed recently asserting that a running Archaeopteryx
could take off from the ground using thrust and sustain
flight in the air.

What phylogenetic evidence is there that _Archaeopteryx_ was arboreal? Come to think of it, what the heck does phylogeny have to do with _A_'s arboreality?

Phugoid gliding

Do I want to even know where the term "phugoid" derives from? Anyway, I'd have to say that _A_ hardly seems comparable to a squirrel. Has anyone determined if there is any advantage (more efficient?) to arboreal upwards leaping (as put forth by Paul 1988), aside from getting higher?

Nick Gardner

MSN 8 helps eliminate e-mail viruses. Get 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus