From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu] On Behalf
Of Nick Gardner
Sent: Sunday, January 12, 2003 2:34 PM
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Re: Archaeopteryx paper in Naturwissenschaften online

Chatterjee & Templin wrote
>Despite broad acceptance of its arboreal life
>style from anatomical, phylogenetic, and ecological
>evidence, a new version of the cursorial model was
>proposed recently asserting that a running Archaeopteryx
>could take off from the ground using thrust and sustain
>flight in the air.

What phylogenetic evidence is there that _Archaeopteryx_ was arboreal?
Come
to think of it, what the heck does phylogeny have to do with _A_'s
arboreality?

>Phugoid gliding

Do I want to even know where the term "phugoid" derives from?  Anyway,
I'd
have to say that _A_ hardly seems comparable to a squirrel.  Has anyone
determined if there is any advantage (more efficient?) to arboreal
upwards
leaping (as put forth by Paul 1988), aside from getting higher?

Nick Gardner