Popularity of dinosaurs in the 1920s/30s? (King Kong question)

Just out of curiousity, is there anything that speaks to how popular
dinosaurs were in the 1920s and 30s? I'm thinking of King Kong's use
of dinosaurs (as well as Lost World). Was their use in Kong a twofer, in
that they needed some more big dangerous critters in the story line and
dinosaurs were not only big and dangerous but popular too?

I've read some bits on the Kong production and this question occurred to
me.