Archaeopteryx gliding

All, from the little I have seen of flying squirrels, they do their
stuff in forests where the air is _very_ still, maybe a general gentle
updraft of warm air but essentially _calm_. Maybe this is true of all
true gliders? I can't see gliding evoolving in a turbulent atmosphere.
So, if forests did not exist, what other very calm air environments with
plenty of launch and landing places, and a _need_ for gliding, could
have existed?

Of course I could be well out of _my_ tree here.

cheers

martin