Re: Archaeopteryx gliding

As an aside to my previous response to this post, a turbulent atmosphere
can be an asset to evolving flapping flight, and to an evolving
transition from flapping to gliding flight. And, as we all know, with
some constraints, a turbulent atmosphere is an asset for soaring flight
(I'm not advocating soaring in tornados, hurricanes, or even
thunderstorms).  Perhaps in some species other than flying squirrels,
flapping flight may have evolved first?  That sure seems to be easier
than transitioning from gliding to flapping flight.
JimC