Re: Alioramus

Tim Donovan (msdonovan66@hotmail.com) wrote:

<P. Currie mentioned a broad nuchal crest, downturned occiput and other
features which suggest Alioramus is most closely related to Tarbosaurus,
Daspletosaurus and T.rex. Of course, the skull of Alioramus is much longer
 and lower, but he pointed out that a long, low skull is a juvenile
feature.>

  Where did Currie mention this? It has been suggested before that for
tyrannosaurines, at least, the juvnile features are adult features of more
primitive forms, as seen in the postcrania of a *Gorgosaurus* ontogenetic
series. The big guys, Tarbo, Tyranno, and Daspleto, have modified these
into their adulthood. *Alioramus*, however, has features of the jaw
including tooth
size, morphology, and tooth count, as well as progressive nasal
ornamentation, that alludes to its adult nature and not being a juvenile
*Tarbosaurus*, as I think Hurum and Currie hinted at in JVP in 2001.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden