Re: Archaeopteryx, Othnielia & pachycephalosaurs

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003 19:36:42
 Tetanurae wrote:
>Both Homalocephale and Goyocephale fall into the "flat-headed"
>pachycephalosaur group.  It has been suggested that they employed head
>pushing rather than head butting, so rib injuries might not be readily
>apparent in these guys.  What would be nice would be about 50 skeletons of
>Pachycephalosaurus, or Sphaerotholus or other Pachycephalosaurids.  Well and
>about $10,000,000 would also be nice, but I feel I will get $10M before I get
>50 complete pachycephalosaurids :-)

Ah, yes, true.  Didn't immediately think of that...  Even head pushing could
leave some marks, perhaps?  And, I wonder how much less forceful head pushing
would have been compared to flank/head butting?  Additionally, how do the
sacra/sacral ribs differ between the "flat headed" forms and the more fully
domed forms?  It seems as if they are similar in _Homalocephale_ and
Prenocephale_ (a fully domed form), but differ in _Goyocephale_ (with _G._
having more weakly fused sacral verts and a few other features).  Strange.

Steve

---
Stephen Brusatte
Geophysical Sciences