Re: Alioramus

Jaime A. Headden wrote:

Tim Donovan (msdonovan66@hotmail.com) wrote:

<P. Currie mentioned a broad nuchal crest, downturned occiput and other
features which suggest Alioramus is most closely related to Tarbosaurus,
Daspletosaurus and T.rex. Of course, the skull of Alioramus is much longer
 and lower, but he pointed out that a long, low skull is a juvenile
feature.>

Where did Currie mention this?

The Age of Dinosaurs in Russia and Mongolia.

It has been suggested before that for
tyrannosaurines, at least, the juvnile features are adult features of more
primitive forms, as seen in the postcrania of a *Gorgosaurus* ontogenetic
series. The big guys, Tarbo, Tyranno, and Daspleto, have modified these
into their adulthood. *Alioramus*, however, has features of the jaw
including tooth
size, morphology, and tooth count, as well as progressive nasal
ornamentation, that alludes to its adult nature and not being a juvenile
*Tarbosaurus*,

P. Currie didn't say this in the book. He wrote that the nasal bumps clearly distinguished Alioramus from T. bataar, but it could be a juvenile and seemed most closely related to the advanced tyrannosaurs.

as I think Hurum and Currie hinted at in JVP in 2001.

Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden

Little steps are often the hardest to take. We are too used to making leaps in the face of adversity, that a simple skip is so hard to do. We should all learn to walk soft, walk small, see the world around us rather than zoom by it.