Re: WAIR on NPR

In a message dated 1/17/03 9:05:39 AM Pacific Standard Time,
dchwang@itsa.ucsf.edu writes:

<< Now, maybe I'm misunderstanding something here, but I thought that this
 behavior was being postulated for the early evolution of flight as would
 have occurred in, say, basal dromaesaurs, and that Archaeopteryx would
 have already progressed "past" this stage in flight evolution.  Thus, I
 didn't really see how this was a relevant point. >>

I don't really see how flying-up-the-treetrunk must be considered a "stage"
in the evolution of flight. It is a behavior open to any bird with suitably
developed wings, whether it was on the way to acquiring flight, secondarily
losing flight, or fully capable of flight. Oh, well, I'll have to wait until
the journal arrives in my mailbox next week.