Elasmosaur necks

Richard Forrest (in speaking about Bob Nicholl's art said, << He paints
pleisosaurs realistically (i.e. with a stiff
neck)... >>
I don't have a copy handy, but I remember Sam Welles attributing a great
degree of flexibilty to elasmosaur necks in his 1943 University of California
Memoir 13: 125-254, "Elasmosaurid plesiosaurs with a description of new
material from California and Colorado". I guess I'm just curious as to where
he went wrong. DV