Chukar Aeronautics

>From the article in the NY Times discussing the tree running chicks:
He found that the chicks were using a flight stroke, but changing the angle
to press their feet against the running surface. More feathers meant more
effective use of the wings, but partly feathered wings provided a
significant benefit.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/17/science/17FLIG.html

The angles of a flight stroke I've been imagining have been pretty awkward;
I hope the videotape is posted online eventually.

In the meantime, could anyone describe the motion?  I'm also wondering about
how broad the wings have to be to produce an effect.

The question behind the question is, which came first, wings or feathers?
Seemed like feathers, but this may indicate wings.