Re: WAIR behaviour energy costs -- random speculations

Stephan Pickering (stefanpickering2002@yahoo.com) wrote:

<We can, using their figures, do some speculative extrapolations: for a
feathered dinosaur to use WAIR behaviour, based on animal of, say, ca.
28-50 g, we can speculate that metabolic WAIR behaviour (and here I am
speaking of animal capable of flight, but which may choose WAIR vs. taking
off) increases with body mass. Metabolic flight power (PF) = m 0.771 (R2
[squared] = 0.96, n = 13, PF in W, M in kg). This is for a small feathered
dinosaur, using the size of a small glossophagine bat, and is ca. 25%
below metabolic costs of flight in larger small feathered dinosaurs.>

  This does depend on a few more variables, including body mass comnprised
of the flight or flapping muscles, and the composition of the msucles
themselves (white versus dark) which have different energy expenditures
and are used variously among power fliers versus the more agile, less
powerful aerialist fliers, and lastly the amount of energy needed to
sustain each type of muscle versus the mass of the animal.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden