Re: Champsosaur swimming

Susan Evans worked extensively on these reptiles and she probably is much more suited for this thread than me, however, I recall she once said me that some choristoderans (in general, not specifically Champsosaurus) had a rather rigid trunk, thus (my inference) the snake like option should perhaps be discarded in favour of the crocodile-like.
The tail seems to me less specialized than that of crocs , but if stail scales were high enough this may have at least in part compensated.
for what it is worth,

                                Silvio Renesto

At 00.18 20/01/03 +0100, you wrote:
> How are Champsosaurs likely to have swum?  In all pictures I see them
> up/down oscillating like otters (or whales).

Really? Look again :-?

> What about croc-style side/side movement?

I've read several times that champsosaurs used exactly this, but more snake-
than croc-style with the whole body.

> Is there any way to tell?

Should be obvious either way from the vertebrae.

_ "When they hear of the Way, The highest minds hurry up to practice it; The average minds think about it They sometimes feel it real and sometimes not; The lowest minds laugh at it. If they did not laugh at it, It would not be the Way."

                                (Lao Tzu)

Silvio Renesto

Dipartimento di Scienze della Terra
Università degli Studi di Milano