Re: Archie skull pneumatics?

David Marjanovic wrote-

> Because both characters are suspiciously widespread. Depending on the
> phylogeny, mononykines, *Microraptor* (almost -- it has a few serrations
> left), *Byronosaurus* and/or *Incisivosaurus* might be relevant. Didn't
know
> about *S.* (that book hasn't arrived yet). Of course, "depending on the
> phylogeny" is the crucial point.

I wouldn't say Microraptor "has a few serrations left".  It lacks anterior
serrations, but so do many coelurosaurs-
Compsognathus (Ostrom, 1978)
Sinosauropteryx (Currie and Chen, 2001)
Ornitholestes (Paul, 1988)
Proceratosaurus (Woodward, 1910)
Sinovenator (Hwang et al., 2002)
IGM 100/44 (Barsbold et al., 1987; *)
Sinornithoides (Currie and Dong, 2001)
Saurornithoides mongoliensis (Osborn, 1924)
NGMC 91 (Ji et al., 2001; *)
Cryptovolans (Czerkas et al., 2002; *)
* questionable due to low sample size, could have some teeth with anterior
serrations.
I meant the Epidendrosaurus holotype when citing Scansoriopteryx, as I
synonymize them.  The correct name is controversial, but I think
Scansoriopteryx sounds cooler (despite the horrid description).

> > > (7) is wrong because of *Microraptor* [...]
> >
> > But Microraptor has more caudal vertebrae (24-26) than Archaeopteryx
(22).

> I thought 25 for *A.* and 24 or 25 for *M.*. Right, the new paper says
24 --
> 26 for *M.*. But only 22 for Archie? Haven't I counted more myself on
> photos? ~:-|

Archaeopteryx has 21-23 caudals, depending on the specimen (Elzanowski,
2001).  The Munich specimen (bavarica) has 21, Eichstatt and Berlin have 22,
and the London has 23.

> > (Barsbold et al.'s first caudal is fused to the sacrum, so I
> > view it as a sacral)
>
> A more common definition seems to be: sacral = vertebra that has sacral
> ribs. (Which need, in mammals, not contact the pelvis.)

Unfortunately, sacral ribs often fuse to transverse processes in theropods,
and this can lead to conditions where sacral ribs appear to be absent (eg.
first sacral rib in tyrannosaurids).

Mickey Mortimer