Re: Sifaka and Chukar Behavior: Trees Down or Ground Up?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Williams" <twilliams_alpha@hotmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2003 11:11 PM

> >An ambush predator cannot afford to maximize predatory equipment into a
> >locomotory structure; [...]
>
> I agree and disagree at the same time.  I agree that use of the arms in
> aerial locomotion is irreconcilable with concomitant use of the arms in
prey
> seizure.

I don't, and neither does Dial in the Ostrom Symposium volume. The finger
claws are perpendicular to the plane of the wing, and only the 2nd finger is
involved in the wing at all.

I forgot who wrote that Solnhofen doesn't preserve any flying dinosaurs
except *Archaeopteryx*... there is the isolated feather which is more
asymmetrical than any known feather of *Archaeopteryx*. More like the foot
feathers of *M. gui* :-) or the primaries of a recent flying bird.