Re: Sifaka and Chukar Behavior: Trees Down or Ground Up?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jaime A. Headden" <qilongia@yahoo.com>
Sent: Friday, January 24, 2003 10:25 PM

> <I don't, and neither does Dial in the Ostrom Symposium volume. The finger
> claws are perpendicular to the plane of the wing, and only the 2nd finger
> is involved in the wing at all.>
>
>   This was done prior to the discovery of NGMC 91, "Dave" as well as
> expansive integument in *Cryptovolans* and *Microraptor*, which show a
> tuft of alula-like feathers in the first digit,

Need not impair the claw, IMHO. The claw is still quite large, unlike in,
say, the coeval *Sinornis*.

> and the overlaying of the
> second digit rachis on the third metacarpal and digit.

The 3rd finger is under the wing and free, best seen in *Confuciusornis*,
but also in all those specimens, e. g. of *Archaeopteryx*, with crossed
fingers. Fits Dial's observation that the base of the 3rd metacarpal is
ventral respectively medial to the 2nd, rather than lateral respectively
caudal.

The femoral head of the holotype of *Sinornithosaurus*, drawn in the Nature
paper from 1999, is :-o suggestive of sprawling capability, along with the
mentioning of an "open acetabulum tending to close off medially". But are
there any good illustrations available? The Nature photos of *M. gui* have
much too low resolution to even discern the femoral heads from the pelvis.
:-(