Re: Sifaka and Chukar Behavior: Trees Down or Ground Up?

"Jaime A. Headden" wrote:
>  [BIG SNIP]

>  What this appears to be, rather, is that one group of small, predatory
> theropods in the trees became adapted to gliding independantly of all
> other  avian-style theropods, and that in no way do these finds support
> either the trees down or the ground up hypotheses. Merely an interesting
> sideline.

Preaching to the converted, here. I've attempted to correct the problems
with the top-view reconstruction in the paper (tail feathers too large
and too proximally located, leg elements in wrong proportions, etc). You
can see my humble attempt at:
http://www.alphalink.com.au/~dannj/temp/mgui_silhouette.gif

To me, this looks like a glider that used its legs to provide lift only,
leaving the forelimbs free to provide control (and perhaps occasional
thrust), with a bit of extra lift thrown into the bargain. I've assumed
no feathers attached to the humerus, and have the tarsal feathers
extended (according to HP Paul's idea of muscular control, which I also
considered possible).