Re: Sifaka and Chukar Behavior: Trees Down or Ground Up?

Dann Pigdon (dannj@alphalink.com.au) wrote:

<...

http://www.alphalink.com.au/~dannj/temp/mgui_silhouette.gif

To me, this looks like a glider that used its legs to provide lift only,
leaving the forelimbs free to provide control (and perhaps occasional
thrust), with a bit of extra lift thrown into the bargain. I've assumed no
feathers attached to the humerus, and have the tarsal feathers extended
(according to HP Paul's idea of muscular control, which I also considered
possible).>

  This looks very plausible. I would add an "alular" fluff at the leading
edge of the first digit, though it may have only covered it and not form
an actual alula (which I suspect is more the case), and lengthen the head
and neck ... Sloan restored the head and neck way too short, and they
would have been at least as long as the trunk, together. Also, it seems
there most likely were humeral feathers, there's no real reason to assume
there weren't in the wing structure, as no evidence seems to contradict
their presence.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden