Re: Sifaka and Chukar Behavior: Trees Down or Ground Up?

Dann Pigdon (dannj@alphalink.com.au) wrote:

<My thoughts exactly. The hind limbs may have functioned in a similar way
to the broader tail fans of birds. This got me thinking: could the tail
fan of M.gui have been oriented vertically, instead of horizontally? The
skull reminds me superficially of that of Dimorphodon (the x-ray in the
paper seems to include the rest of the skull, possibly from the
counter-slab), and the tail is certainly similar. Could critters like this
have filled a niche left behind when long-tailed pterosaurs bit the dust?>

  I know of no sagittally oriented feathers in any animal, and this would
seem to occlude their existence. However, as for the snout, Xu et al.,
thoyught they xrayed the snout of the whole slab, exclude any part of the
skull rostral to the robits as belonging to a glued-on, additional slab;
my own observation suggests this in fact belongs to a pterosaur, with
small teeth and a very large rostral narial opening. In the image of the
slab in color by itself, this region is removed as an alien slab.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden