Re: Screaming dromaeosaur biplane killers of the air

Kris Kripchak (MariusRomanus@aol.com) wrote:

<Ok... Jaime... Do you believe that *Archaeopteryx* could have been a good
flier with the traits it had... but lacked in the department of having the
ability for a powered take off? I see a large keeled sternum and pulley
mechanism as being componets that are linked to a strong powered take off.
What do you think?>

  I think that for a power take off (jumping in the air and flapping up)
requires the advanced pully system as a component of the power flapping,
as you note, and that without this (or a rudimentary version of it, as in
*Archaeopteryx*) or the keel that anchors the large pectorals that
provides the aerobic down thrust, *Archaeopteryx* is like a swan on water,
running to gain lift to take off. I have little to say that if it flew it
was minimally and it seems to be a well-adapted glider transistory to
flapping flight, as was improperly (in my opinion) applied to
*Microraptor*. I have little opinion of its lifestyle apart from
biomechanical considerations.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden