Re: the bipedal ptero-challenge

> Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 11:37:52 -0800
> From: "James R. Cunningham" <jrccea@bellsouth.net>
>
> Both types of Quetzalcoatlus appear to have been capable of
> launching from flat ground without running in a dead calm, and would
> still be capable of doing so in today's atmosphere.  The technique
> is rather neat, very efficient, within their ability to generate
> power (a flapping launch isn't), and doesn't involve bipedalism or
> initial mandatory flapping.

Wow.  You've done a great build-up job on this Mystery Technique.  Are
you going to tell us what it is?  :-)

It seems like only yesterday that the aerodynamics/biomechanics guys
were telling us that _Pteranodon_ was at the absolute limit of how big
an animal could be and still fly; yet here we are with _Q._ not just
flying but lunging up into the air without a run-up.  Don'tcha just
_love_ those Fundamental Size Limits?  ;-)

)_v__/\  A day without sauropods is like a day without sunlight.

--
Now available: _Child's Play_, my wife Fiona's CD of kids' music.
Download free sample tracks; buy on-line or by mail-order.