Fw: Mosasaur meeting 2004 2nd Try

Dear friends and colleagues -

In April or May of 2004, we hope to organise a special meeting on all
aspects of mosasaur taxonomy, systematics and palaeobiogeography, plus
biostratigraphy and taphonomy.

During recent years numerous new mosasaur taxa from around the world
have been erected, which would suggest that there is currently much
life in mosasaur studies. Yet, at every palaeontological meeting we
have attended recently, we have come across only very few mosasaur
workers. For that reason we feel the time is right to have a special
session devoted solely to these wonderful creatures, without any other
vertebrate groups to distract us.

The aim of this first circular is to invite you all to this meeting, to
be held in Maastricht in April or May of 2004. The reason for choosing
Maastricht is obvious: the 'lizards of the Meuse (Maas) River' were
first discovered here around 1770, and formally described as Mosasaurus
hoffmanni by Gideon Mantell in 1829. In other words, the birthplace of
mosasaurs - an ideal venue to stage this first mosasaur meeting, which
ideally would have sequels elsewhere at regular intervals of 2 or 3
years.

At this point, we would much like to hear from you if you consider
attending such a meeting and let us know what you think of such an
initiative. The exact dates have not been fixed yet - your response to
this first circular will allow us to decide on the number of days for
sessions and field work .

In addition to sessions and informal discussion, we will of course
organise a field trip to the Maastrichtian type locality, the extensive
underground galleries where the first mosasaur fossils were discovered,
as well as the Geulhemmerberg K/T boundary section. We might also
consider a trip to various other museums whose collections comprise
type material of various mosasaur taxa from the Netherlands and
Belgium. Our own museum collections are of course also available for
study, but this needs prior arrangement.

Maastricht is within easy reach from many international airports:
Amsterdam, Brussels and Düsseldorf are the local hubs, and the nearby
Maastricht/Aachen regional airport has 3 to 5 daily connections with
Amsterdam and London. Maastricht is also easily reached by car and
train (3 hrs from Amsterdam).

Please get back to us during the coming weeks, and forward this message
to your co-mosasaur workers. The second circular will go out well
before the summer break.

Hope to hear from you soon and looking forward to welcoming you to
Maastricht next year,

Kindest regards -

Anne S. Schulp & John W.M. Jagt
anneschulp@home.nl / john.jagt@maastricht.nl