Re: Screaming dromaeosaur biplane killers of the air

Umh, isn't the average aspect ratio of swans about 8.5, give or take
about 0.5 depending upon the species? With Cygnus cygnus averaging about
8.45?  While that of the female bald eagle is only about 6.65.
Shouldn't we perhaps say that an eagle's wing has nearly the same aspect
ratio as that of many swans?  Less about 20% of course, with all the
differences one would expect from a 20% change in aspect ratio.  Aspect
ratio (span^2/wingarea) is not an adaptation for increased size.  It is
an adaptation for reducing induced drag.
All the best,
Jim