Re: Screaming dromaeosaur biplane killers of the air

Jim Cunningham (jrccea@bellsouth.net) wrote:

<Umh, isn't the average aspect ratio of swans about 8.5, give or take
about 0.5 depending upon the species? With Cygnus cygnus averaging about
8.45?  While that of the female bald eagle is only about 6.65. Shouldn't
we perhaps say that an eagle's wing has nearly the same aspect ratio as
that of many swans?  Less about 20% of course, with all the differences
one would expect from a 20% change in aspect ratio.  Aspect ratio
(span^2/wingarea) is not an adaptation for increased size.  It is an
adaptation for reducing induced drag.>

  I was referring to longest primary on the second digit to bony wing
length, and the general shape of the wing, which are similar in eagles and
swans, as well as many other large-bodied fliers such as condors. At
least, I assume in condors for the wing-feather length: I haven't measured
them yet. I understand that for a soaring bird with some flapping in
eagles and heavy flappers such as larger anseriformes, ther aspect ration
must be different, as it is assumed to be among different types of avian
flyers.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden