Re: When did the comsognathid lineage end? (fwd)

From: "Nick Gardner" <ratites637@hotmail.com>
To: RHebda@royalbcmuseum.bc.ca, dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Re: When did the comsognathid lineage end? (fwd)
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 14:53:23 -0500

Richard Hebda wrote-
I am constucting a graphic of dinosaur family tree for a big exhibit on
Chinese dinosaurs to open very soon. In consultation with Philip Currie I
have placed Sinosauropteryx in the Compsognathid line. Does the line extend
beyond this point and if so when can I end it. Hard to find in any
literature available to me.

As I understand it, the unnamed Santana form and Aristosuchus are also considered to be compsognathids. I believe that the former was described in the Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences but I do not know the citation. O. Rauhut believed Koparion to also be a compsognathid but most other researchers recognize it as a very basal troodontid.

David M. Martill, Eberhard Frey, Hans-Dieter Sues, and Arthur R.I. Cruickshank, 2000. Skeletal remains of a small theropod dinosaur
with associated soft structures from the Lower Cretaceous Santana Formation of northeastern Brazil. Can. J. Earth Sci. 37: 891?900.