Re: Aspect ratio and screaming dromies

Jim Cunningham (jrccea@bellsouth.net) wrote:

<Aren't these two different things?  Should we use the same word to refer
to both without some additional clarification?  Particularly since in
flight mechanics, the phrase 'aspect ratio' has a very precise meaning
that isn't directly related to the general shape of the wing.  By that, I
mean that a pelican-like wing and a pointed-tip wing have a very different
shape, but can have exactly the same aspect ratio (though it is true that
the pointed-tip wing will usually have the greater aspect ratio).>

  When I was using aspect ratio, this was largely in use of the relative
low 5.77 ratio of *M. gui* in relation to body size, as in
*Archaeopteryx*. Then I used it to refer to the size of the wings in
relation to body mass in eagles and swans, but do not consider shape to be
a part of this. That was a separate consideration.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden