Re: ptero and bat origins

David Marjanovi (david.marjanovic@gmx.at) wrote:

<That the name Scrotifera exists suggests that some synapomorphy exists
that fits in the molecular tree, but I don't know it.>

  This might be nothing. Scrota (Lat.) trash bin, a lot [of unrelated
things]; also, the root of scrotum [no explanation needed, I'm sure]; fera
(Lat.) beast. Refers to the presence of a scrotum in these forms as
opposed to their outgroup. It may be a literal trashbin, given the shear
volume of symplesiomorphic features of this clade, which excludes
afrotheres, the tenrec-shrew clade, and xenarthrans.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden