Re: New Dinosauricon Taxon Pages: _Therizinosauria_

T. Michael Keesey wrote-

> The problem with that system is that we are then stuck with misleading
species
> names: _Ornithomimus minutus_ (an alvarezsaurid), _Ornithodesmus latidens_
(a
> pterosaur), etc. ... and _Homo troglodytes_, if I'm not mistaken!

Technically, as the only reason the (lost) holotype of "Ornithomimus"
minutus was assigned to the Mononykinae is the described
hyperarctometatarsus (Holtz, 1994), it could be an avimimid as well.
Unfortunately, Marsh did not describe the specimen (at least a partial
metatarsus) further, so we have no way of specifying its relationships.
The referred specimen (USNM 2909) is a second metatarsal and two partial
pedal phalanges, which Chiappe and Walker (2002) refer to the
Euenantiornithes.

"Ornithodesmus" latidens has been renamed Istiodactylus (Howse, Milner and
Martill in Martill and Naish, 2001) in Dinosaurs of the Isle of Wight.

Mickey Mortimer